Friday, November 1, 2019

November 2019 Meet Our Artists: Cyndy A. Marion

Our Members, Fiscally Sponsored Artists, and other program participants represent a wide range of career stages and disciplines. We love them - and, as fellow artists, we're always inspired by them. With this monthly feature, we hope you'll feel the same way!


Name, Pronouns:  Cyndy A. Marion, she/her/hers

What inspires you?  Telling brave, bold, stories that reveal human truths. As a director, I write plays that I would want to direct. Plays that I feel are challenging and exciting for both actors and directors to work on. I’m usually inspired by real-life stories that have a sense of mystery or intrigue. My first play, You Are Perfect, was inspired by the story of Manson follower Susan Atkins. My newest play, Broken Story, was inspired by the brutal murder of an LA novelist. I think all plays should have an element of suspense–it moves the story forward and keeps the audience engaged. I love plays that have an “ah-ha” moment.

Photo collage of White Horse Theatre productions. Original photos by John Robert Hoffman and Ruth Albertyn Levan TK
What are you proud of?  Being the Producing Artistic Director of a successful and thriving 16 year-old Off-Off Broadway company that has recently expanded our reach nationally and internationally from New York to LA to Toronto.

What are your goals?  To reach as many people as possible with my new play, Broken Story. Another goal is for the White Horse Theater Company to outlive me.

Do you have any advice for your fellow artists?  Work to live. It does not matter how you make a living, as long as you have the time and money to make your art. Don’t be afraid to ask for money. I think artists today have to be entrepreneurs–meaning we have to find a means to an end–a way to support ourselves and the work.

How does The Field help you?  Allows us to solicit and receive tax deductible donations.

To join The Field community and become eligible for a "Meet Our Artists" feature, sign up for a membership and join our mailing list for program updates!

No comments: