Monday, January 1, 2018

January 2018 Meet Our Artists: Erick Montes

Our Members, Fiscally Sponsored Artists, and other program participants represent a wide range of career stages and disciplines. We love them - and, as fellow artists, we're always inspired by them. With this monthly feature, we hope you'll feel the same way!





What's your name? Erick Montes 

What do you do? Dance maker and Artistic Director of Erick Montes/Danceable Projects

What are you proud of? I am proud that finally I can say I have a company, and that within these past two years Danceable Projects has presented two premieres, one revival, a summer residency and two works in progress – all collaborations with impassioned artists from different genres and fields internationally, with the support of independent donors and self-production. So far, I have an ensemble of 6 dancers whose artistry and passion are not less than what any artist will dream of. I started connections with artists from Mexico to establish a more conversational relationship between the artistic scenes New York and Mexico. I am proud that the work is taking off slowly but surely, making me confident that next year things will look even better, brighter and stronger.

What are your goals? I want to challenge audiences’ understanding of social and cultural diversity with mindful movement oriented productions; To be critical and honest with my work and my teaching to create conversations that lift spirits – not only for audiences but for my art community as well;
To surround myself with creators who are not afraid of bringing challenges and risks to the theater or to public spaces; To never settle or expect less about myself and my work; 
To bring my troupe to different corners of the globe and activate togetherness by experiencing the refine simplicity of dance; 
And to create an actual space where Danceable Projects can hold artistic residencies for the creation, education, and performance of experimental performing arts.

How does The Field help you? As a Member of The Field, I have connected and learned with other artists and organizations at Q&A tables, information sessions on grants, and outreach programs. My donations are received through The Field – yay! I feel better having a place where I can come for stuff that I would normally feel ashamed or weird asking my colleagues about.

Do you have any advice for your fellow artists? Believe in yourself. Stay strong and don't be afraid of mistakes. Art is full of them. "Correctness" lasts only for so long and doesn't help the progress of societies. You are unique – always always remember that!

Click to enlarge photos. All content ©Erick Montes/Danceable Projects

Additional Viewing:
 “and you sit there !” (Brooklyn, 2016) by Erick Montes

To join The Field community and become eligible for a "Meet Our Artists" feature, sign up for a membership and join our mailing list for program updates!







No comments: