Wednesday, April 8th 2009
A Letter From kahlil almustafa
The beginning of this year marked the historic election of Barack Obama. A Black president is something I never thought I would see. Like most of us, so many conflicting thoughts and emotions went through me. For the first time in my life, I have at least one thought about the president every single day.
What is the significance of this historic victory of our first Black President? Is “Change” in America even possible? What will it look like? How will this presidency impact the thinking of Black people in America? What will people say worldwide?
Not having any clear answer to the question: “How does the election of Barack Obama make you feel kahlil,” I set out to write 100 poems during the first 100 days of Barack Obama's presidency.During April, which is National Poetry Month, I will be posting poems from this series on my new blog-site www.kahlilalmustafa.mvmt.com.
During the month of April I will be doing Living Room Readings, going into people's homes, reading poems and having conversations. At a recent Living Room Reading, the participants ranging from 5-to-90-years-old created their own poems by remixing the words in Barack Obama's Inaugural Speech. Contact me at email@example.com to find out about hosting a Living Room Reading.
I will be presenting poems from 100 Poems For 100 Days at readings throughout the city:
on the eve of
President Barack Obama's
First 100 Days in the White House
- National Town Hall Meeting
- African-American Heritage Tour of DC
- Benefit Fundraising Event
- Check out poems from the series 100 Poems For 100 Days.
- Book kahlil almustafa at your university, community space or school.
- Forward this BIO VIDEO to someone you know to book me at their university.
- Purchase your copy of my collected poems "Growing Up Hip-Hop" today!
- Host a Living Room Reading in your home or community space.
- Check out www.myspace.com/kahlilalmustafa to listen to tracks from CounterIntelligence.